Shelly
Once there was a blog. . . it was a happy blog. . . with many people posting their favorite recipes on it.   And, then, one day, everyone disappeared.  Ha ha ha ha. . .

Okay, so, here goes nothing. . .

I made it back into the kitchen this week, after an 8 hour day at work, to whip up a batch of pepper jelly.  I have been on this preserving kick lately - which must have something to do with some internal clock that we all have that goes "Hey!  Summer is passing you by!  Soak your veggies in vinegar and sugar and put them away for a cold winter day!"  You would swear that I have a garden. . . but no. . . I have been going to the supermarket (not even the produce stand!) in order to buy vegetables for preserving.  I don't know why I've been on this culinary kick lately, but I'm going with it.  I am still crazy in love with the salsa, and am about to make another batch with all over the leftover jalepenos that I had from this recipe.  (Sometimes I'm not so great at figuring out how many items (like tomatoes, bell pepper, etc.) equals 1/2 c. or 2 c. or whatever the recipe calls for, so I always have crazy amounts of leftovers.  Anyhow, the recipe is super easy, and pepper jelly is always a hit atop a mound of cream cheese.  I don't know what else you would do with it. . . Does anyone have ideas?  Because I do have a little stockpile now. . . The helpful hint of the day, though, is to take out your contacts first!  I don't care how many times you've washed your hands after having chopped up the peppers. . . it doesn't feel so great. . . stinging, blood shot eyeballs. . . yeah, just take them out. 






Pepper Jelly

1 bell pepper, chopped fine
4 decent sized jalepenos, chopped fine (about 1/3 c.)
1 1/2 c. apple cider vinegar
6 c. sugar
6 oz. Certo (or other brand) liquid pectin

Place peppers in a large pot with vinegar and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from heat and add the pectin. Spoon into 1/2 pint jars. The recipe should make between 6 & 7 jars (i.e. enough to share, if you have to). And, always remember to sterilize your jars properly! Safety first.
3 Responses
  1. I give you mad props for being the only one who has stuck with it. Your salsa recipe looks delish, and I plan on trying this pepper jelly (that always comes in handy). Keep up the good work!


  2. Shelly Says:

    Oh come on. . . you should post something. . . I'm seriously tired of trying out weird recipes from tastespotting without having a clue if they're decent or not.


  3. :-) alright alright! I made some mean strawberry cake last week... no pictures, but I'll post it.