Sarah Ferstel
Before I begin revelling in my past and current food adventures, I should admit that I was one of those awful picky eaters as a child. According to my step-mom, who I actually like (!), I only ate spaghetti, raw veggies, and bread. Anything beyond carbs or carrots would inevitably sit on my plate as I tried to stare it out of existence. My poor mother once tried to force me to eat eggplant parmesan. The end result was that I sat alone at the dinner table swallowing down whole, unchewed bites with gulps of milk. I can offer no defense nor make any excuses for my younger self. I was a stubborn, spoiled kid with very black and white ideas of what was good or bad. Eggplant, obviously, was bad, maybe even evil.

Eggplant trauma aside, I've managed to outgrow my pickiness and now I'm a pretty adventurous eater. My mother's mantra of "try it, you'll like" has seeped into my subconscious and I can't imagine ever being a picky eater again. This is not to say that I eat everything or like everything I try. I'm just more open to what's available. I'll share some of my new adventures in Food Land and reminisce about the past as well. I'll also share some recipes along the way.

There may even be embarrassing photos, too.


Labels: edit post
4 Responses
  1. Mmmm... Eggplant yummy! :P


  2. Unknown Says:

    Yay for food blogging! I hope to see a lot about cupcakes, chocolate, and adventures with cheese!


  3. Anonymous Says:

    I've been really picky in the past myself. Looking forward to reading more and getting some ideas! :)

    HW


  4. Anonymous Says:

    Actually, dear, I was one of those parental units who witnessed first-hand your pickiness on some weekends beginning when you were about four years old.

    Dad